Comments

TR6
for film lovers

Jmelb
Loved it! So enjoyable.
I might be wrong - but I thought Errol's boat was Sirocco and the beach house was Cirrhosis By The Sea? (neither here nor there). 5*

TR6
Quite possible I mis-remembered the book, should have checked first. Was it The Moon's a Balloon or Bring on The Empty Horses?

TR6
The boat was called Zaca so..

Jmelb
Yes there was also a boat called Zaca. The boat might have been in Errol's book Beam Ends, or perhaps My Wicked Wicked Ways (read both).
I have read The Moon's A Balloon but this was from EF book not DN.

Jmelb
Just checked - he did also have Sirocco, it was later named Karenita. Had a big crush on Errol, so read heaps about him ; )

Jmelb
ps, so nice to chat about old film trivia!

TR6
It is nice to chat, I was watching a dvd of zorba the greek the other day and watched the "extras" so fascinating the connections i found out. We have referenced Cecil B before I that;s how I found that connection. We have also referenced WC Fields [notorious for dislike I was watching some DVDs lately ergo the hunch back theme of Jean de Florette and also Zorba The Greek where I discovered Anthony Quins relationship with Cecil B. We have also referenced WC Fields [notorious for not liking children] and it tragically turns out that Anthony Quinn's eldest son disappeared one day and was found to have crawled through neighbouring hedges into the grounds of the house next door and was found drowned in the pool of - WC Fields

Jmelb
I did not know that story - so sad. And bizarre. WC had some great anti-kid quotes "I like children-properly cooked". My favourite is the one about them hanging around street corners "reeking of lollipops" haha

TR6
correct me if I'm wrong but didn't WC have his hooch brought to him in hospital hidden inside a teddy bear, whereas EF went on a "health" kick and had a crate of oranges sent to him on the film set where he injected each one with vodka?

Jmelb
Disgraceful really. Remember that line "someday you'll drown in a vat of whisky" WC "Death where is thy sting". I think these guys were actual real alcoholics. Learned a lot reading WC girlfriend's book (Carlotta Monti), a difficult man. Did you read that book that said Errol was a secret nazi spy!!!

Rick B
Knew who they all were but only managed 1 line in the time. Notorious drinker - about actors!