Comments

Head Teacher: Chill! (3 months, 3 weeks ago)

Lebamski: Not sure why this grid specifically has provoked so much debate. It was quite straightforward but with enough challenge here and there to make it fun. Thanks very much Grugen! (4 months, 2 weeks ago)

Joe: Good board, thanks. (4 months, 2 weeks ago)

Endpaper: @AvalancheMC This is a very interesting idea, and I’m intrigued that @JonBob disagrees. I’d be interested to see some examples of red herrings and groups that have those more specific traits.

The boards I enjoy most are where you don’t have to use brute force but can use logic to fish out the red fish, but I’m not sure the only way to achieve this is when the true groups have an extra specific trait. For example I feel pleasurably smug when I’m able to eliminate a red herring because I see it has sufficient but not necessary characteristics which mean it doesn’t have to belong to the group, even if I haven’t identified the link for the group it will go in yet. Or, in this example, Airedale looks quite unlikely to belong to any group other than terriers, so I know I only need to cycle the other terriers to find the right match. (4 months, 3 weeks ago)

Steve h: Easy but ok (4 months, 3 weeks ago)

Steve h: Easy but ok (4 months, 3 weeks ago)

JonBob: @AvalancheMC: I strongly disagree. Crossovers are strongly in the Only Connect tradition, and in cases like this the optimal solve involves seeing that the group has too many combinations to guess by brute force and eliminating some possibilities by finding another group. (4 months, 3 weeks ago)

Donna Keybab: I enjoyed it; I simply must lack the intelligence and sophistication to understand the critical points raised by those that are clearly superior. (4 months, 3 weeks ago)

Grugen: AvalancheMC - chill out man, it's only a game. It is what it is, if a trivial quiz gets you so worked up, maybe it's not for you. (4 months, 3 weeks ago)

@urbanbaboon: 5/10...Not Stellar, but not as bad as other's make it. (4 months, 3 weeks ago)

AvalancheMC: I know I'm repeating myself, but red herrings shouldn't just be “items that actually fit in a line, but don't just because”. They have to be items that mislead you, that may fit with the other 4 in the line, but lack a specific trait the other 4 posses.

It was no fun at all trying to find which 4 of the 6 possible terriers were actually grouped together. Combined with the fact that the Thames line is as obscure and specific as a board could get, and that 2 of the terriers that were not actually terriers are THE MOST POPULAR breeds of terriers, I really have to rate this board’s quality 1 star. (4 months, 3 weeks ago)

ZJB: less than a minute so nice and easy spevcially once I got the cars first (4 months, 3 weeks ago)

MoJoPo: My fastest ever - 10/10 in 27 seconds with no mistakes.
A bit too easy and not enough crossovers. (4 months, 3 weeks ago)

FirstGofer: 10 in 22 seconds... Anglia gave me 2 groups v quickly. Nicely done. (4 months, 3 weeks ago)

Andy P: A good mix, and quite a tight board to unpick with the geographical overlaps. Scored 6/10. Cheers. (4 months, 3 weeks ago)