Comments

smh: All I was trying to do in the first place was point out the inconsistency in that connection. You have one country name that doesn't exist anymore, one country that is not a country, and one country written in its native language. (btw I never said Ireland was not a country) If you are struggling to crowbar answers in to make a specific connection then maybe you should just think of a different/better connection.
I saw the Barbarians play south Africa in rugby, does that make them a country? your justification falls down again because the Cook Islands are yet another independent nation with non country status.
Countries with i as the second letter, next time use FIJI. (Fiji is fine!) Or as Jim says, if the connection is places, use Fiji, Niue and Dili. Just don't class them as countries in the explanations.
I will certainly join you in a beer (15 hours, 50 minutes ago)

Jim: I really enjoyed this, Blues: it was a creative, original concept, and I found all four to be easy once I noticed what the equalities meant. Every quizzer, crossword buff, or geography buff knows Niue, so I'm surprised people are calling it obscure. I'm even more surprised by the back-and-forth over whether Niue is a country: the theme is "Places=2i," not "Countries=2i," so who cares whether it's a country? No one can deny that it's a place. (20 hours, 11 minutes ago)

Blues: Smh, Johnny Truth (Wiz)...
Apology first to Smh if you thought I was flippant, that wasn't the intention although in hindsight it looks it.
Secondly I didn't post the reply to you both after your excellent dissertations on national identity somebody obviously did it on my behalf.
Now here's my two cents worth...
Take a moment to consider what I tried to do to form this particular grid.
Each row had three "three letter" words and a clue.
The three letter words in each row were originally "four letter" words with an identical letter removed which also had to occupy the same position in each of the original words in its own row but in a different position to all the other rows.
The three letter words that were left also had to make sense rather than be just a collection of letters (where possible).
This restricted things a little.
When it came to "countries" that were 4 letters long, with the second letter "i" my scope was very limited.
This was why Niue appeared.

As to whether Niue is a bona-fida country then this is open to debate but I offer the following:-
I listed countries with 4 letters and Niue popped up all over the place.
I then checked it with Wikipedia (not fool proof I know) but the opening statement is:- " Niue is an island country"
I also saw them play rugby against the Cook Islands...
So logic told me, for the sake of this quiz, that Niue passed most tests (although apparently not the UN's)
I did not ask for a UN ratified country or an independent nation or sovereign state, simply a country.
This begs the question how were countries classified pre October 24th 1945? or even before the 10th January 1920? when we had neither the UN or its forerunner "the League of Nations."
(I don't know)
As to Wales or Scotland or Ireland not being countries...
1. Point at a map of the Island or Ireland and ask any schoolchild what two countries make up the island and they will tell you Eire (or the republic) and N.I.
2. Walk into any pub in Glasgow and ask them what nationality they are or what country they live in.... Also wasn't James king of both countries?
3. Every time I cross the Severn bridge driving west out of England I pass a sign "Welcome to Wales" on the border of the two countries.

Undoubtedly your information is irrefutable but sometimes we have to bow to common consciousness.

Nevertheless thank you for taking the time to reply.

(Ooops nearly forgot Smh, the reason I asked you if you finished the grid was simply out of curiosity, I could not imagine you getting so enraged had you waltzed through it.
It is quite a strange grid because I have retried it since and struggled and I thought I knew the answers... (I knew Niue anyway.)

Beer now.
(1 day ago)

Wiz: Wifi? I meant will of course. (2 days, 9 hours ago)

Wiz: Thanks for all the detailed knowledge! I live and learn and wifi endeavour to remember at least some of all that. (2 days, 9 hours ago)

Blues: Fair play. I stand corrected. good knowledge (2 days, 12 hours ago)

Smh: Thanks Johnny, but actually your data is a little dated now.

South Sudan I believe is the newest country, having split from Sudan in 2011. (2 days, 13 hours ago)

Johnny Truth: Blues: Im afraid Smh is correct.

What makes an independent State or a country today?

Has internationally recognized land and borders even if border disputes exist;
Has permanent residents;
Has sovereignty so that no other country has power over its territory;
Has organized economic activity that regulates foreign and domestic trade and issues money;
Has a transportation network for moving goods and people;
Has an education system;
Has recognition from other independent states

How many countries are there in the world?

Today, there are 195 independent countries or states recognized in the world. Kosovo, which declared independence from Serbia in February 2008 is the newest country. Territories, such as Hong Kong, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, and Greenland that belong to other countries are not considered countries.

Disputes often arise when a territory claims to be a country, but is not recognized by any other countries. Taiwan, for example, claims to be an independent country, but China states that Taiwan is a part of China. Therefore, other countries that don’t want to upset China also do not recognize Taiwan as independent.

What are a nation and a nation-state?

A nation is a group of people who share the same culture, language, institutions, religion, and history—usually a group of people larger than a tribe or community. When a nation of people has an independent State of their own it is often called a nation-state. The Kurds are a nation without a State, but France, Germany, and Japan are examples of nation-states. (2 days, 13 hours ago)

Smh: Blues: I am sure that Wales, N.I, Scotland and England are considered CONSTITUENT COUNTRIES that make up the UNITED KINGDOM, which is the country. Niueans (people from Niue) are citizens of New Zealand. Both the united kingdom and new zealand recognise the UN so YES.
Who cares? you ask. who cares? very flippant. clearly YOU care enough to throw your 2 cents in. However the point here is what is actually defined as a country. Is palestine a country, what about Christiania, or the Turkish republic of northern cyprus, what about Puerto Rico, is that a country, all of these places would like country status, and im sure it matters to many of the citizens of those places. None of them are however deemed to be countries by the strictest definitions, (and it is important to have definitions of such things) most of them can be considered nations, but there is the distinction. You couldn't have a connection with FOOTBALL teams for example and then use one team that doesn't exist any more and another one who plays american football.
As to whether or not I finished the rid, I fail to see how that matters. Lets say I didn't quite manage to finish, or lets say I smashed it in 30 seconds, does either of those outcomes affect whether or not those places are countries?

(2 days, 13 hours ago)

Bye the way: Bye the way (3 days, 21 hours ago)

Blues: Smh: Are you sure that Wales, Scotland, Northern England, Ireland and our mates in Niue recognise the UN?
By the way who cares?
They are all of them without question countries.
Bye the way did you complete the grid... (3 days, 23 hours ago)

Smh: Niue is not a UN recognized country. It is self governing (autonomous) but doesn't have country status in the eyes of the UN, neither do England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland FYI (4 days, 9 hours ago)

Blues: Wz Tst (add your own letters) Thnks. (5 days, 5 hours ago)

toast: A bold and entertaining approach. Well done. (5 days, 9 hours ago)

Wiz: And I did find the grid tough,but 'twas good,nonetheless. (5 days, 11 hours ago)

Wiz: Niue is indeed a self-governing country. (5 days, 11 hours ago)

Blues: Hello Guys, thank you for the comments, to be fair I expected them because it was tougher than I anticipated once I had set it.
.... BX (Second letter "O")...
That's all you had to think outside of.
As to Niue not being a country.... mmm... What is it then? They were a country when I watched them play rugby against the Cook islands.

Nevertheless its not wrong to be different etc. etc. etc. (Hes brilliant Yul Brynner.) (5 days, 12 hours ago)

Sally Forth: It is at a time like this that my ignorance is most evident. To quote W!A-
"This is about identifying what we do most of best and finding fewer ways of doing more of it less". (5 days, 12 hours ago)

Serious Mike: Bollocks (5 days, 23 hours ago)

4by4: Took a couple of looks to work out the concept. Once you have that it is quite achieveable with a bit of trial and error to get the obscure answers (it is easier to find one obscure answer in a set than trying to find a set containing all obscure answers requiring a specialist knowledge). I like the concept and applaud the attempt to add a bit of variety. (6 days, 2 hours ago)

Johnny truth: This is: IT (=1S 2H) (6 days, 3 hours ago)

Sally can dance: Wow, ridiculously obscure. Shoe horned a couple of those answers in to make up the connections didn't you. And then you let yourself down further, Niue is not a in recognised country and neither is Siam, one could even argue that wire isn't in English so doesn't really match with the others. Not sure I liked using one of the squares as a clue either. In fact I'm bang against this grid. (6 days, 3 hours ago)

z: Agreed. It was hard enough without the level of obscurity of the answers. (6 days, 3 hours ago)

PERNICKERTY: What on ear? ( Planet = 4&5th) (6 days, 3 hours ago)

Nellington: I like the gimmick, but I think each group contained at least one answer that was (IMO) too obscure. There can't be that many people who have heard of the Isle of Niue (population 1,624), or know that Roan is a breed of horse. I think the gimmick alone is enough to make the puzzle challenging and if the answers had been a little more mainstream I'd have given it full marks. Still, clever idea. (6 days, 3 hours ago)